ArcPy and ArcGIS – Second Edition: Automating ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS Online with Python
(as of Mar 12,2021 19:29:48 UTC – Details)
Use Python modules such as ArcPy, ArcREST and the ArcGIS API for Python to automate the process of analyzing and mapping geospatial data
- Perform GIS analysis quickly by automating tasks
- Access spatial data contained within shapefiles and geodatabases and transform between spatial reference systems
- Automate the process of mapping geospatial analyses and producing map books
ArcGIS allows for complex analyses of geographic information. The ArcPy module is used to script ArcGIS analyses, providing a productive way to perform geo-analyses and automate map production. This updated second edition focuses on new Python tools, such as the ArcGIS API for Python. Using Python, this book will guide you from basic Python scripting to advanced ArcPy script tools.
You’ll start by setting up your Python environment for ArcGIS automation. Next, you’ll learn how to output maps using ArcPy in MXD and update feature class in a geodatabase using ArcPy and ArcGIS Online. In later chapters, you’ll explore the ArcREST library, before going on to discover examples on querying, updating and manipulating ArcGIS Online feature services. As you progress, you will get up to speed with enabling your scripts in the browser and directly interacting with ArcGIS Online using Jupyter notebook. Finally, you will learn how to use ArcPy to control ArcGIS Enterprise and even explore topics on data quality assurances, data updates, version control, and editing safeguards.
By the end of this book, you will be equipped with the knowledge you need to automate the analysis and mapping of geospatial data.
What you will learn
- Understand how to integrate Python into ArcGIS and make GIS analysis faster and easier
- Create Python script using ArcGIS ModelBuilder
- Learn to use ArcGIS Online feature services and understand the basics of ArcGIS REST API
- Understand the latest Python environment with ArcGIS Pro
- Explore the new ArcGIS Python API and understand how to use Anaconda and Jupyter with it
- Get to grips with controlling ArcGIS Enterprise using ArcPy
Who this book is for
If you are a GIS student or professional who wants to understand how to use ArcPy to reduce repetitive tasks and perform analysis faster, then this book is for you. Python programmers who want to learn how to automate geospatial analyses and implement ArcGIS Online data management will also find this book useful.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Python for ArcGIS
- Creating the First Python Script
- ArcPy Cursors – Search, Insert, and Update
- ArcPy Geometry Objects and Cursors
- Creating a Script Tool
- The arcpy.mapping Module
- Advanced Analysis Topics
- Introduction to ArcGIS Online
- ArcPy and ArcGIS Online
- ArcREST Python Package
- ArcPy and ArcGIS Pro
- ArcGIS API for Python